The student news site of Bellaire High School

Three Penny Press

Shake Shack Restaurant Review

New York-based chain Shake Shack has finally made its debut to the Houston area. Originally a kiosk stand in Madison Square Park from 2001 to 2003, Shake Shack became a neighborhood fixture, and the rest is history. The chain now has 100 restaurants across the world, including Japan, the U.K., Russia and more. On Nov. 4, 2016, the restaurant opened in the Galleria Mall across from the Cheesecake Factory. The chain boasts flavorful burgers, cheese fries, and specialty items.

As I walked into the restaurant, I noticed the welcoming layout and theme of the building, paneled wood tables and walls, along with string lights giving the restaurant a homey feeling. After scanning the menu, I decided to order the ShackCheeseburger that featured their one-of-a-kind sauce, crinkle cut fries and a chocolate shake. The staff was friendly and took my order promptly. While Shake Shack was a little on the expensive side, costing a total of $14.77, I was hoping that the experience and food would make up for the price. I was given a buzzer to know when my food would be prepared. In the meantime, I took a window seat in the booth, where the table was made of recycled bowling lanes! I thought that was pretty unique.

I suspect that the food was made to order because it took a while to get to me. My buzzer went off eventually, and I went to the counter to retrieve my food. I stopped by the condiment counter to get some ketchup, and then returned to my booth. I excitedly opened the wrapped burger to find a smaller portion than I was expecting. For a burger at $5.29, I was expecting something a little larger. Although small, it was enjoyable, especially the shake. The chocolaty shake was delicious, creamy and tasty, but once again, for $5.29, I was expecting more than an 8 oz. shake. I moved on to the fries, which tasted like regular crinkle fries that could be purchased at any restaurant or from the frozen section of your local grocery store. Sold separately, these fries totaled to $2.99.

Overall, I would recommend Shake Shack to people and students that want to splurge on upscale American cuisine. This would be a great location to go to on weekends and after school with friends or with family. After eating, your squad can head to other parts of the Galleria and do some shopping. There is also the attraction of the ice skating rink located in the food court. The new location of the Shake Shack is sure to bring in plenty of revenue for the popular chain. The restaurant can also attract those who may usually not be able to eat there, featuring vegan options including the ShroomBurger, which has a large crisp-fried Portobello mushroom filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheeses, topped with lettuce, tomato, and ShackSauce. There are so many options available and I hope anyone interested in a classic American staple would try out this new addition to the Houston area!