Three Penny Press

• March 27click "view all" to TELL US your future plans!!!

Filed under Entertainment

Student Band Performs at White Swan

yearbook

yearbook

Anthropocene isn’t just a vocabulary term for AP Environmental science. It is the name of a band formed with three musically talented students from Bellaire High. Anthropocene consists of sophomore Jacob Tate on guitar and seniors Amanda Martinez on percussion and Laura Mendoza on guitar and vocals.

The fellow members in the band wanted a band name that would represent humanities’ moment and Anthropocene was a perfect fit as it means the present time for humans.

Wednesday night, November 4 at White Swan a live-music venue for bands they performed as one of the opening acts for musician Dylan Holland on his “Time of your life tour”. The location is almost 25 minutes from Bellaire, but definitely worth the trip. Starting at 7:30pm they impressed the crowd with their songs from their EP “Be Here Now”. Consisting of 6 songs written and recorded by themselves, the CDs are available for sale or download. The audience was very impressed with these young students and their talents and effort in preforming their own music.

Although their talent is evident, they practiced weekly for this performance by rehearsing their usual set. Onstage, their hard work shows and they perform as professionals. Mendoza’s voice combined with the sounds of guitar and the percussion, El Cajon, mix well to create a soothing tone. They each have a unique part that fits well together.

This talented trio have worked with music throughout their lives. Martinez has been able to integrate music into her school life by co-founding the DPM Music club in school. Mendoza even participated in the live concert last year by showing off her vocals and guitar skills. Anthropocene came together because they have always been passionate about music. Starting from a young age they learned to play instruments and were constantly preforming for people.

“I’ve always been into music and have wanted to be a musician ever since I can remember,” said Mendoza. “I started singing in second grade and playing guitar when I was ten. I did plays and musicals all through elementary and middle school. I’ve preformed my music at school and many different open mics.”

Although it may be difficult to balance a musical career and education, it is possible. This moment for teenagers is the time to experiment and find out what they were meant to do. For these musicians, being a part of Anthropocene isn’t work but an experience that will shape their future.

“My favorite part of being in Anthropocene is that it’s not stressful or complicated and we just have so much fun when we play,” said Mendoza. “We really enjoy playing music together and it comes really easily to us.”

For more information on future events and new music their Social Medias have all their information.

Facebook.com/Music.Anthropocene

Twitter: @anthropocen3

1 Comment

One Response to “Student Band Performs at White Swan”

1. Tiffany Jefferson on December 15th, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Isabella,

I have an unrelated question. You did an article entitled FOOTBALL TEAM ENDS SEASON ON HIGH… I am trying to find the article. My son, Hastings Jefferson, is in the picture. Would you please send me an electronic copy of the article or maybe the link so I can read the entire article? We only have a snapshot of a portion of the article.

Thanks in advance.
    Tiffany Jefferson
    [email protected]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Visuals

DECA First Responder Slideshow

• Columns/Editorials

Miracle Baby

• Video

Broadcast Vlog 3 Naja Cooks Pizza

• Student Band Performs at White Swan

News

Hamilton Education Program Comes to Houston

• Student Band Performs at White Swan

News

Black Box Theatre

• Student Band Performs at White Swan

News

AP Saturday Review Sessions

• Student Band Performs at White Swan

News

Ask-Me-Anything on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

• Student Band Performs at White Swan

News

Senior Pop Show

• Student Band Performs at White Swan

Sports

Andre Ingram’s Big Breakthrough

• Student Band Performs at White Swan

News

Students celebrate Earth Day

The student news site of Bellaire High School
Student Band Performs at White Swan