Three Penny Press

• March 27click "view all" to TELL US your future plans!!!

Filed under News

World Hijab Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

World Hijab Day

On February 1st, in the Science Conference center, dozens crowded in to celebrate World Hijab Day and learn about the Muslim tradition of the hijab. Muslim women gathered at the front to give a presentation describing the reasons for why they wear the hijab. The speech involved a verse from the Quran and a list of reasons that the hijab benefits the wearer.

The women stated that through the Quran, God gave women the wisdom of the hijab. They later said that the hijab helped them become more respected within society by practicing modesty. Freshman, Najiha Zaman, adorns the hijab coming to school everyday and details her reasoning for doing so.

“My religion tells me to wear a hijab to be respected and show modesty,” said Zaman. “We do not judge people based on how they look we judge them based on their personality, their smiles and their actions.”

However, the hijab had caused many of them to face some form of discrimination. A goal of the event was to end discrimination against women who wear hijabs by displaying the character of Muslim woman. Zaman tells stories of discrimination in the past.

“In kindergarten I would sometimes wear the hijab,” Zaman said. “One day my best friend told me that I wore the hijab I looked like a clown, so I got a bit offended and stopped wearing it for the rest of the year. In fifth grade, someone even tried to take it off.”

The central message of the World Hijab Day assembly to the students was that Muslim women wearing hijabs are just ordinary women practicing their religion, and they have the right to do so. The speakers spoke of hardships from wearing a hijab that have molded them into empowered women of society. Not only do Muslim women face discrimination due to a head covering, many other religions such as Orthodox Judaism have a similar practice for women.

The event was a true display of the diversity at Bellaire. Many learned how the hijab affects a woman’s day to day life style and how it has lead to experiences in their life. Additionally, at the end of the period, all who attended were able to experience the Muslim culture by being treated to a delicious Middle Eastern desert and even an opportunity to try on a hijab.