The student news site of Bellaire High School

Three Penny Press

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

“Get Out” Movie Review

DANIEL KALUUYA as Chris Washington in

DANIEL KALUUYA as Chris Washington in "Get Out," a speculative thriller from Blumhouse (producers of "The Visit," "Insidious" series and "The Gift") and the mind of Jordan Peele, when a young African-American man visits his white girlfriend’s family estate, he becomes ensnared in a more sinister real reason for the invitation.

Photo Credit: Universal Pictures

Photo Credit: Universal Pictures

The cinematic debut of “Get Out” by Jordan Peele captured the film industry and put audiences in a standstill across the country upon its release on Feb. 24, 2017. Earning top praise with a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and critical acclaim by critics and fans everywhere, “Get Out” has grossed over $148 million in the U.S. alone, with just an estimated budget of $5 million. Highlighting racial issues in America and beyond, British actor David Kaluuya and American actress Allison Williams of HBO’s “Girls” use Peele’s script to accentuate the social injustices brought on to minorities, especially African Americans in the United States. Attention is to be looked in the details as Peele meticulously leaves audience members astonished long after they exit the theater in this social thriller.

The set of “Get Out” was realistic and creepy, however it’s coincidental that upon Chris’ arrival, Rose’s father points out how the closest neighbors are not for miles. Coupled with the strange acting servants of the family, Chris immediately picks up on the awkwardness that would ensue over the weekend. The plot of Peele’s directorial and writing introduction behind the camera was though-provoking and left me reflecting on all the things I could have missed while I was watching. The countless symbols throughout the film at first seemed minute, until one realized that everything was pieced together for a reason.

Personally, I cannot look at horror films. I scare too easily, but those that can relate to how I feel should still invest in seeing this film, because at most times the film does not enact fear. It’s more of a suspenseful drama that puts social constructs in perspective. The whole time I watched, I was waiting to be scared out of my mind, but that moment never happened because Peele’s motives are to make you scared of what’s happening around you in reality— not what happens in a movie. The movie is based off of things minorities face every day, and is a wake-up call to oppressors on their actions.