Three Penny Press

Filed under Features, Showcase

Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

Junior+Valentina+Page+sports+Philadelphia+Eagles+sweater.
Junior Valentina Page sports Philadelphia Eagles sweater.

Junior Valentina Page sports Philadelphia Eagles sweater.

Luis Leon

Luis Leon

Junior Valentina Page sports Philadelphia Eagles sweater.

Advertisement

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Every Sunday, groups of friends get together to watch their favorite football teams go head to head for one more victory. One wrong pass or one wrong tackle, and the victory seems millions of points away. Slowly, victories begin to accumulate until two teams remain. On Feb. 4, more than 100 million people will tune in to watch the Philadelphia Eagles play against the New England Patriots in Minneapolis, MN. These teams represent the best in the National Football League (NFL).

Both teams ended their regular season with 13 wins and three losses. However, the journey to the Super Bowl was drastically different for these two teams. Junior Valentina Page, a Philadelphia Eagles fan, described what she felt when she found out the starting quarterback, Carson Wentz, tore his ACL a few weeks prior to the playoff games.

“I went to grab a bag of Tostitos,” Page said. “I came back, and I asked, ‘Where is Wentz?’ My boyfriend said, ‘He just got injured, no big deal. It is fine. He will play the next game.’ However, I thought, ‘we are not going to win anything after this.’”

Despite this setback, the Philadelphia Eagles still managed to continue winning games with their backup quarterback, Nick Foles. Foles quickly adapted to the game mentality set by head coach Doug Pederson. Page believed Pederson had performed well as head coach.

“He is a new coach,” Page said. “The previous coach, Chip Kelly was not good at choosing starters. I feel like Pederson is making all the right choices with who is going to start and who will be backup.”

However, Foles has a very difficult task. He must beat Tom Brady. Brady, the starting quarterback for New England, is considered the best active quarterback in the league. Senior David Roubein, a New England Patriots’ fan, shared his reasons for admiring Brady.

“People who do not think Tom Brady is the greatest player in the league are misguided in their notions and nostalgic about past errors,” Roubein said. “Brady is the greatest player to ever play sports. Brady and Belichick have put their egos aside to form one of the greatest dynasties of any sport.”

Tom Belichick, the head coach for the New England Patriots, found a unique dynamic with his team. Unlike the recent Pederson-Foles dynamic, Belichick and Brady are no strangers to championship games. Since 2000, Brady and Belichick have led the Patriots a total of eight Super Bowls, including this upcoming one.

“Belichick’s ability to adapt to any defense is incredible,” Roubein said. “A true visionary.”

According to the official NFL site, the Patriots had the number one offense in the league during the regular season. They will be going against the number four Eagles defense.

“Our defense has been amazing,” Page said. “Doug Pederson has done an amazing job in building it up. It is something that we did not have before. We would be put down by every other team in the NFL. They would claim, ‘the Eagles are trash.’ This year, we have improved. We are the underdog team. Hopefully, we are going to beat the Patriots.”

The New England Patriots are the favorite to win. According to statistical analysis website FiveThirtyEight, the New England Patriots have a 58% chance of winning Super Bowl LII while the Philadelphia Eagles sit at a 42% chance of winning.

“The final score will be 35-17, Patriots,” Roubein said.

The Super Bowl is Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018 at 5:30 P.M. central time, airing on NBC.

 

Update: The final Super Bowl score was 41-33, Eagles.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Columns/Editorials

    Junior learns to keep in contact with distant friends

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Entertainment

    Trollhunters Review

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Features

    Choir students prepare for a day of singing valentines

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Columns/Editorials

    Harvey survivor shares thoughts in wake of devastating hurricane

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Entertainment

    When Breath Becomes Air Book Review

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Entertainment

    Mr. Bellaire 2018

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Profiles

    Constance Kemp Profile

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Features

    Freshman in Robotics

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    Entertainment

    Thor: Ragnarok Movie Review

  • Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes

    News

    Senior uses to language skills help after Hurricane Harvey

The student news site of Bellaire High School
Football fans foresee Super Bowl outcomes